Progress.

Posted by Gabrielle Martin on Friday, November 5, 2010. Filed under:

When I first began photography I would stare at images that I admired for hours, feeling inspired I would grab my camera and I was so desperate to shoot I would photograph a fence or a leaf with hopes that my image would look like a masterpiece. That was three years ago and needless to say, I am just now reaching the point of liking my images. Im learning how to make the session as close as I possibly can to the image I have fixated in my brain, learning how to think then shoot. 


It took me a while to develop an editing style of my own that wasn't a complete replica of those that I admire, countless hours spent in photoshop learning new methods. While looking over my images I realize that I am growing and I am learning. 

I wish I had the extra money to spend to travel as I wish to. I enter so many competitions with the hopes of winning the grand prize (or any) and using 100% of it to see the world through my lens (with some new gear of course). Germany, Brasil, Melbourne, Malta and Greece are on my 'asap' list. I dont care if Im sleeping on the couches of my friends apartments there lol (as I will in germany with joyce), just to see and to shoot. Someone I worked with before recently asked me would I go back into the corporate world with my graphic designing and if I miss my pay, I do miss the steady income and the bonus checks but I was no longer happy. I wasn't creating I was simply taking a template and swapping colours out. There was no real creativity, it was not allowed. I love my photography, if my camera broke today you would meet an insanely depressed person. I feel freedom with each click, I hear a story in my head my still frames reflect that. I am an artist through and through. Many do not understand how I could choose to "struggle" as I do right now (im really not, I have what I need but the things I want are on my later list) but I don't understand how people can live in such a black/white world. So many hues in between,so many gradients of each individual colour. 

Roadtrip tomorrow :)

No Responses to Progress.

Leave a Reply